DirecTV Math ($10 > $36)

Filed under: , by: Oliwa


This week my favorite NHL team (Detroit Red Wings) played the Columbus Blue Jackets in the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs. The game was blacked out for me and was not available on any of the channels that are part of my packages (including NHL Center Ice). To make a long story short, I had to add the Sports Package ($11/month) to watch one game and after the game I canceled the package and that incurred another $10 fee. After sending 2 emails, talking with 3 representatives, and threatening to cancel my service I was informed of the following...

"We cannot stop your account from being charged the $10 for canceling the sports package and we can't credit your account $10 to offset the termination fee. It is against corporate policy. I can give you the DVR service ($6/month) free for 6 months instead" -DirecTV
Great business model! I'm not complaining by any means, but I find it very sad that DirecTV thinks they come out ahead giving me $36 of free service over $10. I haven't heard of awesome math skills like these since listening to Verizon Math.

0 comments: